Sunday, July 13, 2008

Past, Present and Future

People say that time is a wheel, it goes on ad infinitum in a circular motion, that the past present and future all merge together in an eternal song.
Maybe.
But to a simple soul like me, the past means the smells and sounds of my childhood home, the pungent scent of mango blooms mingled with lemon and orange flowers, the damp sweet smell of earth during first rains, that peculiar sweet smell of sweet peas, jasmine flowers on after dinner walks, the taste of half ripe lichis and unripe mangoes, a koyal's melting song from some unknown tree branch, birds chirping, endless long days with laughter and friends. Family and warm meals. A confidence that the world is beautiful, oh so beautiful, sunshine on my face and warm rain on my back... those happy memories are the past.
Past is also education, setting and achieving goals.
Meeting unforgettable people.
Past is also moving on, letting go. It is also friends, some for a lifetime, many for years or months or days... none who I wish I hadn't shared those days or months or years with.
Past is also the discovery of love - of finding the one.
The future beckons, I dream of travels and a tiny family of my own. Making home. Discovering undiscovered talents in my humble self, trying new things, adventures and a thing or two perhaps i'd want to own.
It is the present squeezed between the past and the future that I wish i could separate and write as succinctly about.

No comments: